Landlord Information

Landlord Information

What is a property condition report?

This is a report that is compiled at the commencement of a tenancy prior to your tenant moving into the property. This report outines the condition of the property at the commencement of the tenancy and is used when the tenant vacates to ensure that the property is left in the same condition. This is the last inspection carried out as soon as possible after the end of a tenancy, when the tenants have returned their keys. The Property Condition Report is used at this inspection and each item is checked off to make certain that the property is in the same condition as when the tenant took possession. It is at this inspection that any items that need to be rectified by the tenant are identified.



What is a Routine Inspection?

Routine inspections are conducted after a tenant takes possession of the property and are conducted every four months. These inspections are essential to ensure that your property is being maintained to an acceptable standard and to identify any maintenance that may be required. A copy of the routine inspection report is forwarded to you after each inspection and should it be necessary, a member of the Property Management Team will contact you to discuss items noted on the report.



What is a database check?

Database checks are conducted on all tenants applying for a property. Within Australia there are two databases used by Real Estate Agents to lodge and check bad tenants. These are Tenants Reference Australia (TRA) and TICA. Any tenant who has rented through an agency that uses these databases and has defaulted in some way will be lodged on theses databases. This can greatly reduce your chances of getting a tenant with a previous bad rental history. 


What happens when a tenant stops paying rent?

When a tenant falls behind in their rental payments they are issued with a notice of breach advising them that they are behind and requesting that they rectify the problem. If this is not done within the stipulated time period then a termination notice is issued requiring that they vacate the premises.


Who pays for water usage?

The RTA says the landlord is responsible for a reasonable amount of water used on the premises and can require the tenant to pay for water used above that amount if the premises are individually metered.


Can we ask for a larger bond?

The RTA restricts the maximum bond to four week rent for properties up to $500 per week. Over that amount we can request more but will usually meet resistance from prospective tenants already paying two weeks rent in advance (so totalling more than $3000 on move-in).


What is an "emergency repair"?

The RTA list various items including a burst water service, blocked or broken toilet, serious roof leak, gas leak or a fault or damage that is likely to cause injury, undue inconvenience, or which makes the premises unsafe or insecure (like broken stairs, broken locks or a serious electrical fault).